INSTAGRAM

Wednesday 5 November 2014

DIY Envelope Pillow Covers

We recently purchased a bedroom set, complete with a reclaimed teak bed and 6 drawer low rise dresser. This is especially exciting because I have not slept on a bed frame in over 4 years! Although it is taking some getting used to; I have smoked my shin on the corner around 4 times already. 

We already had bedding and sheets but I wanted to add a punch of colour/pattern. I asked Brock (husband) which patterns he liked out of my stash and he picked the exact ones I was thinking! (relief). I then used two 16 x 16 throw pillows we already had and created envelope pillow covers for them. 



What you need: fabric, scissors, thread, sewing machine, pins

Here is how you do it (I followed this tutorial)
  1. Measure your pillow. Mine was 16 x 16 (roughly, you do not have to be exact)
  2. Pick your fabric for your pillow. 
  3. Cut one square that is 16 x 16 (your final envelope pillow size will be 15 x 15 to ensure a snug fit on the pillow, we measure 16 x 16 so that we can sew a 1/2” seam allowance around the whole pillow)
  4. Cut out two rectangles to make the envelope ‘flaps’ these will measure 16” x 12”. 
  5. Hem your two rectangles one 16" side only. 
  6. Place your square piece good side facing towards you, then place the rectangles good side facing down on top of the square. You want your hemmed sides in the middle. 
  7. Pin all the way around the pillow and sew using a 1/2” seam allowance. 
  8. Clip your corners and turn right sides out! 
  9. Stuff your pillow in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment